September 26, 2013

My Five Favorite Films From...1989

Honorable Mention – Field of Dreams: I’m not going to admit to crying at the end of this movie. I’ll just say the room got very, very dusty. And there was some pollen in the air. Someone may have been peeling an onion.

5. When Harry Met Sally…: It can be schmaltzy in spots, but it makes me laugh a lot as well. Plus, it gets the ups and downs of relationships dead-on.

4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: It definitely measured up to the other two. It really gets the insanity of the Christmas season down pat.

3. Major League: The sequels to this movie sucked. Hard. But this one is flat-out funny. Not a down moment the whole time.

2. Glory: Powerful, powerful movie. I’m still blown away when I watch it.

1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: In the Temple of Doom/Last Crusade argument, I comes down solidly on this side. I love this movie. Action-packed and hilarious. Connery really makes the film. And I am glad that this is still the last movie I saw in the series, since by all accounts “Nuked The Fridge” sucked pretty hard.

Films I Like But Didn't Make The List: Cinema Paradisio, 84 Charlie Mopic, Back to the Future II, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, The ‘Burbs, Casualties of War, Roger and Me, My Left Foot, Uncle Buck, UHF, Born on the Fourth of July, Parenthood , The Little Mermaid, Ghostbusters II, Always, Kickboxer, Lethal Weapon 2, Fletch Lives, Heathers, Dead Poets Society, The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover, Dead Calm, Henry the V, Godzilla vs. Biollante, Do the Right Thing, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Underappreciated x2 – Black Rain and Batman: I have always enjoyed Black Rain, but it got no love when it came out and you only see it rarely on fourth-rate television channels. As for Batman…I don’t see why people are slagging it when talking about The Dark Knight franchise. It was a solid movie. The soundtrack, on the other hand…

Guilty Pleasure – Best of the Best: I know this is not a good movie. It has Eric Roberts as a kickboxer, for God’s sake. It has James Earl Jones as the US coach, prostituting his talent for a paycheck. It’s completely ridiculous…and yet I cannot turn away when I see it.

Insane Film That Must Be Mentioned – Meet The Feebles: That Peter Jackson is one screwed-up dude. Imagine the Muppets, except they’re a bunch of sex-starved, drug-addicted, gun-toting freaks. That would be Meet the Feebles. Beyond nuts, but pretty damned funny.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site of Future Awesomeness

Coming soon.

Site of Future Awesomeness

Coming soon