October 23, 2013

Space Vampires!

First off, if you aren't reading io9, you should be.

Second, they have compiled a list of the twenty-five scariest sci-fi and fantasy tv episodes ever. They also have a list for 26-50.

I have to say, I am usually leery of these lists because they tend to be very hit or miss. But they get it pretty right. Which I knew for a fact when I got to #14.

14) Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, “Space Vampire”

What it's about: You don't think of the disco-fied Buck Rogers TV show as being scary or even thrilling — but this episode terrified legions of kids and a lot of adults. Basically, it's about a space vampire stalking people on a deserted space station.

I was one of those kids. I loved Buck Rodgers and Erin Gray was the one who made me start to consider that maybe girls weren't full of cooties after all. So having an interstellar Nosferatu stalking my lady love? Not cool.

But it was scary as hell. I had never seen anything like this vampire (called a "vorvon" in the show). Bald, pale-skinned and with these long sharp nails, turning crew into his undead slaves.

Here's part of the promo for the episode:

Who says the late-70s/early-80s aren't amazing?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site of Future Awesomeness

Coming soon.

Site of Future Awesomeness

Coming soon