September 20, 2013

My Five Favorite Films From...1988

Honorable Mention – Bird: I grew up playing alto sax and I still have a well-worn copy of Charlie Parker’s Omnibook. So when Clint Eastwood came out with Parker’s biopic in 1988, I was right there. Really well-done, and it gave us our first look at Forrest Whitaker as a lead actor.

5. (Tie) They Live and Bull Durham: I have a lot of love for both these films. They Live is a wonderful sci-fi “B-movie” romp. And Piper is awesome in the lead role. No, there is no argument about this. Bull Durham is one of the greatest sports films ever. And damned funny to boot.

4. Scrooged: This movie grows on me each time I see it. I love Murray in this and the flashbacks of his life are great. And Carol Kane as the Ghost of Christmas Present is a joy.

3. (Tie) The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! and A Fish Called Wanda: Another strong year for comedies. Naked Gun is, in my opinion, the apex of “spoof” movies. Just solid from top to bottom and non-stop laughs. Wanda is a more refined comedy, but just as hilarious. Kevin Kline deserved that Oscar for his role as Otto West. “Oh no! K-k-k-ken is coming to k-k-k-kill me!” Hey, it was so funny it killed a guy. Go Google “Ole Bentzen” if you don’t believe me.

2. Big: What made Big so effective is not only Tom Hanks’ ability to play a man-child with that sense of wonderment kids have, but that all us remember a point when we were kids that we simply wanted to be…big. Twenty-five (!) years old now and not dated in the least.

1. Die Hard: You know a film has become a cultural touchstone when it is used to describe other films. It also doesn’t hurt that Die Hard kicks a hundred different kinds of ass as well. There isn’t a down moment in the film. And while some people say Billy Zabka played the biggest jerk ever on film (Johnny Lawrence - Karate Kid), I still say Hart Bochner holds the title hands down as the coked-out L.A. businessman Harry Ellis. I cheered when Gruber shot him.

Films I Like But Didn't Make The List: Akira, Biloxi Blues, Colors, Midnight Run, Eight Men Out, Alien Nation, Frantic, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Waxwork, Rambo III, Twins, The Last Temptation of Christ, , Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, My Neighbor Totoro, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, Coming To America, Bat 21, Mississippi Burning, Beetlejuice, Big Top Pee-wee, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Pelle the Conqueror, Bloodsport

Underappreciated x2 – The Big Blue and Willow: Luc Besson’s The Big Blue is an almost-hypnotizing story about a rivalry between two free divers. The scenes underwater are incredible. Willow catches a lot of flack as a “Star Wars with swords” movie or a rip-off of Tolkein. Maybe, but so what? It’s an entertaining, fun movie. Better that than some pedantic, slow-moving, sub-par rip-off like the Sword of Shannara books.

Guilty Pleasure – Action Jackson: I can’t defend this movie. It’s ridiculous. But I love it. Carl Weathers kicking ass is always a good time in my book. And Craig T. Nelson plays one of the most evil, insane guys to ever cross the screen and has fun doing it.

Insane Film That Must Be Mentioned – Phantasm II: Where to begin? The Tall Man harvesting bodies from town to town. Flying silver balls with assorted appendages of death. Strange Yellow Ichor. Dwarfs coming out of barrels. And a crazy ending. All that said…I love this movie and the whole series. I don’t know why. But they’re great.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Site of Future Awesomeness

Coming soon.

Site of Future Awesomeness

Coming soon